Follow the SNC Chapter on - Facebook
~~~~~ February News and Communications ~~~~~
CDS JR/YR and AA Clinic(s) North 2016
A component of your CDS membership is the opportunity to participate in the many educational activities presented by CDS. Two of the most popular educational activities are the Jr/Yr and the Adult Amateur Clinics hosted regionally across CDS. Our SN Chapter will send one Jr/Yr and one AA member to the clinics held in the northern region.
The Jr/Yr clinic will be August 20th-21st at Starr Vaughn Equestrian Center in Elk Grove, Ca. The clinician will be Olympian Charlotte Berdahl. The AA clinic will be May 28th-29th at Starr Vaughn as well. The clinician will be "S" judge Melissa Creswick.
To be eligible to put your name in the hat to be chosen to represent the SN chapter, you must be a 2016 member of both CDS and the SN Chapter. We ask that our clinic representatives volunteer for the chapter in some capacity whether it's by serving on the board, volunteering half or all day at a chapter show, or hosting a chapter clinic, for example.
The chapter will pay for our representative's spot in the clinic. The clinic participant is responsible for all stabling, transportation, food, and accommodation expenses. You must be able to arrive at the clinic by Friday afternoon, the day before the clinic, and it is a requirement of CDS that you stay and watch the entire clinic on Saturday and through your Sunday clinic ride. You may leave after your ride on Sunday.
Being an active competitor is not a requirement of the CDS clinics but you must ride a horse you are familiar with, and the rider and horse must be competent of at least the training level of dressage.
If you'd like to have your name put into the hat and pulled at our Year End Award party on Sunday, February 21st, please email your name to Jennifer Smith at email@example.com.
Mark your calendars for the Year End Awards Party!!
Join the chapter in celebration of everyone's 2015 achievements ~ Sunday February 21st from 4pm to 6pm at Sierra Feed. The chapter will supply food and beverages. Sierra Feed will give a discount on all items purchased (special orders will not receive the discount).
USEF Rule Changes
A number of new rules were passed by the USEF BOD at their recent meeting. Here is GS845 copied directly from the GR portion of the USEF rule book. Any horse entering the show grounds of a USEF show must adhere to this new rule. Please direct any questions relating to this rule directly to the USEF.
GR845 Equine Vaccination Rule
- At Federation licensed competitions, horses entering the grounds must be accompanied by documentation of Equine Influenza Virus and Equine Herpes Virus (Rhinopneumonitis) vaccinations within six months prior to entering the stables. Horses not in compliance with this rule may be required to leave the competition grounds upon request by Competition Management. Documentation should consist of one of the following methods mentioned below. The frequency of vaccine administration should be per the vaccine manufacturers’ or veterinarian’s recommendations. It is recommended that vaccines are administered by or under the direction of a veterinarian.
- In the case of vaccines administered by a veterinarian, the exhibitor, upon request by Competition Management, must provide documentation from the veterinarian on documenting that the horse in question received the vaccinations; name of the vaccines and date of vaccine administration.
- In the case of vaccines administered by a person other than a veterinarian, the exhibitor, upon request by Competition Management, must provide a receipt of the vaccine purchase which is signed by the owner, or agent with care, custody, and control of the horse; name, serial number and expiration date of the vaccine; and date of vaccine administration.
- In the case of a horse that is unable to receive either of the vaccinations due to a history of adverse reactions, the exhibitor, upon request by Competition Management, must provide a letter from the veterinarian on official letterhead stating that the horse in question cannot be vaccinated due to medical concerns and a log of temperatures taken twice daily for the seven days prior to entering the competition grounds. These horses must also have their temperature taken and logged twice daily while on the competition grounds. The log of temperatures should be provided to the Competition Management, steward, or technical delegate when requested.
- Competition Management may not amend or enhance vaccination requirements without prior approval of the Veterinary Committee. BOD 1/17/15 Effective 12/1/15.
Custom Stock Ties:
Need a new stock tie or vintage pin to spiff up your show attire? Dara James Designs proudly introduces new stock tie designs for the dressage show ring! Dara James Designs was founded by our very own SNC member, Susan Ward. All Dara James Designs products are hand made to the highest quality level. A portion of proceeds will go to the Equestrian Aid Foundation, specifically for those affected by breast cancer. Visit www.darajamesdesigns.com.
Chapter meetings are held one evening each month unless otherwise determined by the Board Of Directors. The location of the meetings will be posted to the web site and announced to the group prior to the meetings. Meetings are open to the membership.
Next Chapter Meeting: To Be Announced
If you would like to stay up to date with current events in the chapter, join our SNC-CDS e-mail list. All announcements regarding ride times, show results and the newsletter are sent out via the list. To sign up for the list, go to the Yahoo SNC-CDS page and click on "Join". If you have any problems signing up on Yahoo or other questions please feel free to contact us.
To become a Sierra Nevada Chapter member of the California Dressage Society, please use the following link Join CDS.If you wish to be a member of SNC please make that your chapter preference.